While most men in the U.S. were sitting on the couch, beer in hand, watching the Superbowl on February 5, 2012, my man was building me a new office!
After pinning an extra large batch of inspiration, we went to work to create a standing height desk and shelves along one wall in my office. My desk and gear and supplies used to take up the entire room, but now we are down to this and the closet...the rest of the room is Maggie's Playroom (will share when it's finished, work in progress).
There are some issues, but it's 90% ideal. I shouldn't have bought the barstool... defeats the purpose of "standing desk" but the height keeps the items I am working on out of reach of Little Miss Grabby Hands... and since her toys and books and desk are in the room, she's not interested in my stuff very often.
oooh...clean...it never looks like this! :D
- The shelves were free. They were offered by a client of John's who was renovating and we were so very lucky to get them. The system is by Rakks, but we cut a piece of 20" wide MDF for the desktop.
- The barstool, rug, round side table and the white boxes are from IKEA.
- The chevron and teal blue containers are from Target.
- The image in the frame on the desk is from this pin: http://pinterest.com/pin/3518505928704856/
Since taking this photo, I have moved a few things around...the clock is now over by the photo printer and the file sorter is between the lamp and my laptop so I can have files close on hand and stay organized. I bought some vertical file folders from Martha Stewart for Avery at Staples and they work great, but that thing is so full, it's bursting.
I am contemplating filling the back wall behind the desk area with pin boards in-between the vertical rails. For now it's fine without it, but I have a lot of stuff I like to keep in front of me, and I am running out of room on the desk.
The other half of the room, as I mentioned before, is Maggie's playroom- it's still under construction/organization, so I don't really have finished photos to share, but you can sneak a peek of it here in this photo of her stamping:
She's a busy little bee. :D
...so...did I mention I finally got an iPhone?...
I am obsessed with my new lovely. It proved to me, in one fell swoop, that money really can buy happiness. I now use it as my primary camera, and I can't imagine very many situations where I am not satisfied doing just that. The DLSR is nice for some situations, but it's big and heavy and I hate hauling it around. I love Instagram, and I love how Kelle Hampton does a photo dump...so here is mine:
- New haircut.
- Making oversize fabric flowers for a Moms Group "Pinterest Party."
- Wearing said oversize fabric flower.
- Maggie sleeping on our way to Grandma + Grandpa's house.
- Maggie and I on the Seattle/Bremerton Ferry.
- Maggie decorating cookies with Grandma.
- Family picture with the Easter Bunny.
- Maggie delivering a beer in her new apron and chef's hat.
- Riding on the "horsey" with Grandpa.
- Pushing her baby in the stroller with her purse in hand...just like Mommy!
- My KONY 2012 activism kit.
Life actually looks interesting for a change!
And with that, I am going to put on my KONY 2012 T-shirt and crawl into bed. We'll have to save some of the interesting for another day. Let me know if you have questions about the desk set up, and I will be happy to answer!