December is flying by so extremely fast around here, I can't even believe it! We'll be welcoming Santa in less than 2 WEEKS which means we need to get our Christmas pictures done ASAFP and our cards in the mail before we run out of time.
Thankfully, I don't have to stress much about outfits for the kids because as part of the Inner Circle team, Target asked me to pick out a few favorites and share them with you as part of their #MyKindOfHoliday campaign! I had already pre-shopped a bit for Maggie, but needed clothes for Baby Bodie, so I gathered a few festive choices and styled all of my picks for a "Holiday Fashion for Baby" round-up.
I found these sneakers in a box of Maggie's old newborn baby clothes, along with a set of gender neutral baby leggings, so I picked up this adorable onsie to match, and a grey and white stripe sock and hat set to go with. This is a total standard baby uniform; perfect for a lazy day at home, or hitting the mall with Mommy for last minute shopping.
This jumpsuit with suspenders and bow-tie is ADORABLE! I usually balk from dressing Bodie in outfits that are too "adult" themed, but I couldn't resist this. My only hesitation was the colors, because I don't decorate in traditional red and green for Christmas...but I grabbed it anyway.
Then I brought it home and gave it a full color makeover!
You've cat to be kitten me right meow! I couldn't let Bodie have all the fun...this shirt is everything! I love bright colors and bold graphics so I had to get this for Maggie. I paired it with a silver tutu and yellow leggings already in her closet.
Maggie will be wearing hearts and sequins for her date with the big man...I picked out a lace-edged cardigan and simple tank top to go with her rose gold sequin bubble skirt, cream and black heart tights and classic patent leather shoes. I can't wait to see these outfits on my kids.
1. Suspender Suit // 2. Hat/Sock Set // 3. Pug Onsie // 4. Baby Leggings // 5. Baby Sneakers // 6. Cable Jumpsuit // 7. Trapper Hat // 8. Sequin Shirt // 9. Tulle Skirt // 10. Patent Leather Shoes // 11. Leopard Leggings // 12. Lace Edged Cardigan // 13. Heart Tights // 14. Tank Top // 15. Sequin Bubble Skirt
Now that we are set up with all these fancy duds, Target suggested I set up a photo shoot at home and see if I could share some tips with you on how to capture Christmas card worthy photos while dealing with a squirmy baby and a toddler who runs at the sight of my camera... "Sure." I said...why not!
I'm not a professional, but I have spent quite a few years learning how to use my camera (here's one like it) and working with what I've got...so here's my recipe for a successful home-based photo shoot:
- PLAN IN ADVANCE: My house isn't a photo studio, and my camera and lenses are pushing 5 years old. That means that I have to prepare a space in my home ahead of time, one that has adequate natural lighting from a large window, and a blank wall to use as a backdrop. If you can, find a similar place in your home, even if it means moving some furniture out of the way. Decide on outfits and photo props ahead of time, and take some test shots before you get started.
- GET HELP + USE BRIBERY: If you have older kids that can help with wrangling your little ones, or a husband that can lend a hand, use them. Little babies need propping up and toddlers need to be constantly redirected and sometimes physically positioned into place. Have a special treat handy to use as a bargining tool, like candy or TV time as a reward for their cooperation. I let Maggie stay home from school with the condition that she had to be super cooperative and listen nicely. Worked like a charm. Every time she got close to wanting to bail on me, all I had to do was mention school, and she'd be right back at my side, ready to work.
- DONE IS BETTER THAN PERFECT: My photos are far from technically perfect. They are grainy, blurry, and the shadows are a bit harsh...but, I caught a few moments that were good enough, and that's all you need. If your photos need brightening or the colors to be boosted up a bit, try using an easy photo editor like PicMonkey.
- HAVE FUN: After taking a lot of pictures that weren't what I wanted, we were all a bit tired and ready to be done, the baby was fussy and Maggie started playing with the tinsel...and then she started dancing! PERFECT! I took as many pictures as I could while she giggled and wiggled, and in the end, those dancing photos turned out to be the winners. Maggie is genuinely happy and smiling and Bodie...well, he's a baby. We're just happy he didn't have a blowout. :D
Now it's your turn to join in the fun! I am giving away a $50 Target Gift Card to help you deck your littles with dapper duds for the holidays! You can enter using the widget below, and the winner will be drawn Friday, December 20th.
Full Disclosure: I am a member of the Target® Inner Circle, I was provided a gift card to purchase some of the clothing items shown, however all opinions expressed are my own.a Rafflecopter giveaway